Thursday, June 25, 2009

Love this salad!

For all those of you in the heat of Minnesota, I thought I would share a nice salad recipe with you. It's delicious, yummy and fabulous (I know they all mean the same thing, but it is just plain good). And it uses one of my favorite vegetables- Beetroot.

Here we go. First peel and cut up some beetroot into chunks, roast in oven or steam until soft but firm. (tip-to avoid the red stained hands, I use latex gloves while peeling and slicing)


While the beetroot is cooking heat a skillet and dry roast some pine nuts- set aside.
In bowl add the still warm beetroot, pine nuts, some crumbled feta cheese, and torn up basil. Gently toss to mix. Just before serving drizzle some balsamic vinaigrette over the salad.
voila- a delicious and tasty salad to enjoy

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Lovely post, Kelly. Just beautiful photos. The salad? Yuck. Beets. Yuck. So glad you found a summer salad you enjoy! I remember when you ate too many beets when you were a kid. . .

Martha said...

Hi Kelly...How cute!! You should get a job as head photographer for Martha Stewart Living Magazine!! We (me and Bonnie) would like to know if beets and beetroot are the same thing??? Sounds good..You know your dad loves beets!! We are at mom's tonight for a slumber party. Love you and miss you, Bonnie and Martha

Tribe of Adeline said...

Kelly, I remember when you and Michelle spent a couple of days with us when you were about 9,10,or 11 years old. We had beets from the garden and you ate a lot for supper. YOU LOVED BEETS. The next morning you had been in the bathroom and noticed your stool was red. Michelle said, Kelly, you just got your period. [I don't if that is spelled right]. It was so funny to me. It was only the beets that time. Thats another memory I have. I want to try this recepie! Love, Margene

The Jahnkes said...

first- Beets and beetroots are one and the same. second- I do remember that day at your house Margene. I have a picture you took of me eating the beets right out of the serving bowl after everyone was done. ahhh, the memories.