Thursday, December 17, 2009

Overland Track, Tasmania - Day 2

Waterfall Valley Hut to Windermere Hut
Distance Hiked 7km/4.3 miles



This was the shortest day we hiked but also the most miserable. I use the word miserable loosely because even as the snow/sleet/ice/rain pelted us in the face I was still loving every minute if it. We had actually planned on making this day our longest and continuing on to the next hut making it a 9 hour day. But by the time we arrived at Windermere Hut I was soaking wet from head to toe, my boots were sloshy and I was starting to get cold. We arrived at the hut at about 1pm and decided to take off the wet clothes and relax, starting again the next morning.

Even through my limited view with my rain hood on- the views were breathtaking. Walking along high bluffs, past waterfalls and lakes. It was lovely to be a part of.


Did I mention it was wet?

Did I mention the snow?

A brief moment of sunshine


Arriving at Windermere Hut

Feels so good to be in my dry thermals


We found a nest with baby pink crested swallows in it by the toilets

Compostable toilets were at every hut. Very nice and barely noticeable smell.

Another wonderful day. A bit wet, but a wonderful day.

3 comments:

Martha said...

Loving it when you are cold and wet...It must have been really really captivating place. The pictures are really fabulous!! Looking forward to day three!! Love, Mom

Michelle said...

Wow, Kelly! Another great post. Glad you decided to just take the afternoon off and warm up. But . . . you call THAT snow? You've been away from Minnesota for too long! Looking forward to reading about Day 3!

Angie said...

AMAZING! What an incredible experience. I'm excited to read more!