Thursday, December 17, 2009

Overland Track, Tasmania - Day 3

Windermere Hut to Pelion Hut
Distance Hiked 14.2 km/8.8 miles

I would say this was the toughest day. It was the longest and lots of ups and downs. The rains did let up periodically, but the winds were quite hard at times. So much so that when walking across the moors I had to lean into the wind and use my walking poles to keep me from falling over. During this portion of the track we got out of the alpine and moved more into the subtropic region from time to time. Beautiful lush mossy trees and ferns were everywhere, streams and waterfalls were abundant.



Our destination- Pelion Hut

How will I fit it all back in the pack?

Will this be the day the rain goes away?


I think not....... well at least not entirely

We did have periods of no rain long enough to take off our hoods



A couple of the many beautiful waterfalls


I don't know what happened when taking this photo- I think it focused on the walking poles. Which by the way- takes 25% of the stress off your knees. I didn't have hardly any knee pain, so it must be true.

Crossing a little stream


A Tasmanian Waratah- its known as the "Christmas Decoration" of the bush and only blooms in December. They were brilliant.



Frog Flats- an area between huts you can camp at, but only when not rainy due to flooding

When we stopped at frog flats for a break we saw a pademelon and her baby. You can see her holding her hands in front of her pouch where she hid her baby from us to protect it.

A wallaby and her joey outside of Pelion hut

An echidna looking for insects in a fallen log. This was the first echidna I have seen in the wild. Very cool


At Pelion Hut- this hut is situated about halfway through the track and sleeps 60 hikers. Many people will stay here a few nights and do some of the side hikes out and back from here.

View of Mt Oakleigh from the hut

All dry and warm making a cup of tea

Halfway through my journey and loving every minute of it!



1 comment:

Martha said...

The scenery is so spectacular!! You looked so determined in the one photo! I guess all of them! The wildlife was great also....Can't wait until day four!! Love, Mom