Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Bircher Muesli is go-o-o-o-o-od

Every once in a while I will actually think about what I would like for breakfast the night before. And on the occasion that I think of it at that time, I am able to prepare myself a yummy bircher muesli for breakfast. After I tell you about it, I hope you will want to also.

Here's the ingredients you will need- the fruit you use is up to your taste


Throw some oats in a bowl- and not those quick cook oats some of you like to use. I mean the real thing- old fashioned oats. (but not steelcut- that won't work- although they do work great in the slow cooker)

Next, grate up an apple- the peel and all

Throw it in on top of the oats

Splash some apple juice into the mix

Pour some yogurt on it. Unsweetened is good, if you want it a bit sweeter- use vanilla.

Next add a couple of sprinklings of LSA (this is a blend of linseed, soy, sunflower seeds, and almonds ground up- I put this in everything from cakes and cookies to smoothies)
And a dash of cinnamon
Then mix it up and throw it in the fridge to sleep until morning.

When the sun comes up drag your butt out of bed and spoon a little into a bowl

add a dollup of yogurt- I think I actually added a bit too much yogurt here.

Throw in some fresh fruit- bananas and blueberries are good, so are craisins, grapes, pears...whatever you desire.

Grab a handful of nuts and seeds and throw them in- I use sunflower seeds, sliced almonds, pine nuts and pepitas

Drizzle some honey over it - if you want to be even more healthy use Manuka Honey- its delish

Then dig in and enjoy a yummy, healthy breakfast.
This will last in the fridge for several days for your eating enjoyment.


Bircher Muesli (4 serves)

1 cup rolled oats
1 apple, grated with the peel on
1/2 cup apple juice
1/2 cup natural yogurt
1 tbsp of LSA mix
pinch of cinnamon

Mix the above ingredients in a bowl and place in fridge overnight
before serving add:
nuts and seeds, fruit, dollop of yogurt, and honey

Hope you like.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Yum! I will definitely try that! Thanks for the recipe Kelly. So glad you are coming home soon, too!

Angie said...

That looks really interesting. I bet the yogurt breaks down the oats a bit to help with the raw digestion. I often soak our oats with yogurt, but I would still cook them afterward. I'll have to give this a try!

Martha said...

Good job on your receipe!! I might even try it after I get all the ingredients!! You are a little Martha Stewart with the camera!! Love, Mom

Frank and Sue said...

Great post! Forwarding it to my daughter, she will love it!